This is the seventh patch made for the National 9/11 Flag restoration project. The National 9/11 Flag was brought on the deck of the U.S.S. Missouri on December 7, 2010 for the stitching of the Hawaii Patch. USS Missouri is best known as the site where General of the Army Douglas MacArthur, on 2 September 1945, officially accepted the surrender of Japan, ending World War II.
This patch was made from four flags that were donated for the ceremony. Two of the flags, 3 foot by 5 foot, were received from the Aloha Council of the Boy Scouts of American and flew over their camps until retired. Another of the flags was received from the U.S.S. Missouri Memorial Association. This was a 4 foot by 6 foot flag which had flown over the U.S.S. Missouri while docked at Pearl Harbor. The last flag used in making the Hawaii Patch was a 3 foot by 5 foot flag that was retired after being flown over the U.S.S. Bowfin. The Bowfin is a World War II submarine permanently docked at Pearl Harbor and is part of the National Park Service Arizona Memorial complex.
The Hawaii patch was made by cutting out several red strips from these retired flags. Its approximately 17 inches high and 24 inches long. It was sewn into the lower right hand area of the bottom red stripe. One hundred and thirty one civilians and military personnel had the privilege of stitching this patch into the Flag. The remains of the three flags used in making the patch will be properly retired at a later date.
Members of the Flag Tour making the trip to Pearl Harbor included Denny and Carolyn Deters and Firefighters Jimmy Sands, Brian Fitzgerald, Mark Medino, and Paul Franko.
The location of the Hawaii patch is shown on the picture below.