Pennsylvania Flags

The Lincoln Patch and Pennsylvania State Patch

This is the ninth patch made for the National 9/11 Flag restoration project. The National 9/11 Flag was brought to Milford on February 12, 2011 for a display and stitching ceremony at the Pike County Historical Society Museum at the Columns and at the Delaware Valley High School in Milford, Pa.

The Pennsylvania patch was made from two retired flags and small pieces of two other historical flags. The Pike County Museum is in possession of a 31 star flag measuring 153” by 104” made of wool that was used as bunting at the Ford’s Theater in Washington D.C. the night President Abraham Lincoln was assassinated.   A very small piece of blue material from this flag has been donated to the National 9/11 Flag and was put on the Flag as a special patch that measured 4 inches square and is located in position R6-1 on the map.

Part of a small red stripe from a flag that flew over the Sawkill House in Milford, Pa was also donated to the National 9/11 Flag and was used along with material from two other flags for the main Pennsylvania patch located in position R3-3 on the Flag. The Sawkill House was built in the mid 1800’s and was a prominent home in the Milford area. The house was destroyed by fire in 1869.

A 6 ft by 10 foot flag was donated from Shanksville, Pennsylvania that was the last flag to fly over the crash site of flight 93 on September 11 during the clean up. It was hung on the top of a crane used in the clean up effort. A small piece of red stripe was combined with the piece from the Sawkill House and a piece of one other full flag donated by the Volunteer Firemen in Shanksville, Pennsylvania. This second flag was retired after becoming tattered flying over the firehouse.

The patch was made by cutting out several red strips from these retired flags. It’s approximately 8 inches high by 19 inches long. It was sewn into an area on the second red stripe located at the very right hand end of the second red strip (Location R3-2 on the map).

A combination of 156 people from both the Museum and the High School stitched both the Lincoln Patch and the State patch into the National 9/11 Flag.

The Flag that flew over the crash site was returned to the Fire Department in Shanksville with the other flag being retired after the ceremony.

Members of the Flag Tour Team included Jeff Parness, Carolyn and Denny Deters, Wendy Hauser and FDNY firefighter Jimmy Sands


Share