(Nominated by Bonnie Pugh)
The Martinsburg VA Medical Center
June 21, 2011
Mary has dedicated 39 years of care to our Veterans. She began here at the Martinsburg VAMC in 1972, as a nursing assistant. In 1977 she transferred to the dental service as a dental assistant. Mary then furthered her career by attending Allegany College of Maryland’s dental hygiene program. She currently holds an affiliate faculty position with the college and coordinates the dental students who rotate here at Martinsburg VAMC. Mary has served on the rewards and recognition committee, the National Hospital week committee, the Quality Improvement Fair Committee and served on the committee creating a center memorandum for “Management of Swallowing and Feeding Problems.” In 2007 the Secretary’s Hands and Hearts award was presented to her, for the highest standards in patient care. Mary also proudly displays a framed citation, given to her by the Veterans of Foreign Wars post #1599. She has given so much kindness and compassion to others. We are so lucky to have her here at the Martinsburg VAMC. Mary Marshall is a Hero, serving Heroes.